The Anglican Diocese of South Carolina has just under 23,000 baptized members spread across the eastern and coastal portion of the state.
The Diocese was founded in 1785 by the parishes of the former South Carolina colony. Based in the Lowcountry of South Carolina, the Diocese is one of the oldest religious districts in the United States and counts among its members several of the oldest, operating churches in the nation. The Diocese dissociated from the Episcopal Church in the fall of 2012 and is a member Diocese of The Anglican Church in North America.
The Anglican Diocese of South Carolina is recognized by Anglican Dioceses and Provinces around the world, many of whom have broken fellowship with The Episcopal Church, and in 2013 the Diocese joined the global Fellowship of Confessing Anglicans and entered into a formal relationship of Provisional Primatial Oversight with Global South Primates.
We continue as faithful Anglicans under the leadership of The Rt. Rev. Mark J. Lawrence, the 14th Bishop of the Diocese, pursuing the vision first cast in his message at the 2009 Diocesan Convention, where he urged us to focus on “Making Biblical Anglicans for a Global Age.” Our continuing mission is, “To respond to the Great Commission by so presenting Jesus Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit that all may come to know Him as Savior and follow Him as Lord in the fellowship of His Church.’
Clergy: 142 *
Active Churches/Congregations: 52 *
Baptized Members: 22,953 *
Average Sunday Attendance: 9,325 *
Diocesan Budget for 2014: $2,059,285 **
* As of 6/17/2015
** As of 10/23/2015